World in Review

Kenneth Edison & Christian Canizal, Managing Editor and Staff Writer

Drake announces release date for future project More Life

Drake’s long delayed playlist More Life finally has an official release date after the Toronto rapper announced the project would be finished by March 18.

The announcement came in the form of an instagram post on the morning of Saturday, March 11 showing Drake traveling the world before concluding with the March 18 release date. 

Fans of Drake have been anxiously awaiting the release of the project for weeks, something that Drake acknowledged at a concert in Hamburg, Germany on Friday night where he apologized for the playlist’s delay.

“I know it’s taken me a while, but I’m going to the hotel tonight to finish this More Life shit so I can give it to you as soon as possible,” he said.

The project will feature appearances by several guest vocalists such as 21 Savage and has been described by Drake as “a body of work [I’ve] been working on to bridge the gap between any major releases.”

Chicago rap artist Chance the Rapper has been outspoken about his displeasure with state support for Chicago public schools  Internet Photo

Chicago rap artist Chance the Rapper has been outspoken about his displeasure with state support for Chicago public schools  Internet Photo

Chance the Rapper donates $1 million to CPS programs after meeting with Bruce Rauner

Hip-hop artist Chance The Rapper donated $1 million to Chicago Public Schools last week after meeting with Illinois governor Bruce Rauner the prior week.

The duo met on March 3 to discuss Rauner’s plans with regards to CPS funding but according to Chance, the meeting did not go as planned. 

Shortly after the meeting, Chance tweeted, “Chicago Public Schools and I did not lose today. Please don’t let that become the narrative. Monday morning I’ll have a plan.” 

The Chicago-born rapper announced his plan to donate $1 million to Chicago Public Schools arts and enrichment programs at Westcott Elementary School, a couple of blocks away from where he was raised. 

“Governor Rauner broke his promise to Chicago’s children when he vetoed $215 million in funding. Chicago Schools were counting on [it] to close out the school year,” Chance said during the press conference. 

Along with the $1 million donation, the Grammy-award winning artist announced that his nonprofit organization Social Works will also donate $10,000 for every $100,000 raised. 

He also donated $10,000 each to nine elementary schools on the South and West sides of Chicago. 

Floyd Mayweather announced on Saturday, March 11 that he has officially ended his almost two year retirement in order to fight with Conor McGregor. Internet Photo

Floyd Mayweather announced on Saturday, March 11 that he has officially ended his almost two year retirement in order to fight with Conor McGregor. Internet Photo

Floyd Mayweather ends retirement, eyes fight with Conor McGregor

Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. announced that he is coming out of retirement to fight UFC Lightweight Champion Conor McGregor on March 11. 

“Today, I’m officially out of retirement for Conor McGregor,” Mayweather said to FightHype. “We don’t need to waste no time. We need to make this sh*t happen quickly. Let’s get it on in June.” 

UFC President Dana White offered to pay McGregor and Mayweather $25 million each back in January, which was money Mayweather laughed at. 

“They know what my number is. My number is a guaranteed $100 million,” Mayweather said, according to ESPN. 

Mayweather has not competed since his September 2015 win over Andre Berto, which drew lackluster pay-per-view numbers.

McGregor is coming off of a knockout win over Eddie Alvarez in November 2016, but announced afterwards that he would be taking a sabbatical to support his girlfriend through the birth of his first child.  

An agreed price for the potential fight has still not been set.