When it comes to makeup, there is a lot to know and about a billion products to go with it. I think the most important thing to know, however, are the principles behind wearing makeup.
Whether you are are looking to venture into the world of beauty or curious about what it has to offer, I’ll be your guide! From not letting anyone tell you what to wear, to simply having fun with it, here are 5 things I think you should know about makeup.
1. You don’t have to go broke in order to have a made up face! That’s what the drug store and online shopping are for. It is kind of pesky that you aren’t able to sample products to tell whether or not they match your skin tone or if they are the right amount of coverage, but you are more than welcome to buy it, try it, and return it if it does not suit you.
2. Don’t be afraid to ask employees for help, especially at shops targeted for makeup, such as Sephora or Ulta. That’s what they are there for! They are more than happy to give you a second opinion, help you find what you need, and even give you a makeover trial to see what looks you are comfortable with.
3. Don’t let anyone make you feel stupid, less than, or different based on whether you choose to wear it or not! You don’t have to accept backhanded compliments from people who swear you look better without it when you didn’t ask their opinion in the first place. If you want to work the work, do it. If you want to work the bare face, do it. You look great either way.
4. Don’t feel pressured to always buy high end. This kind of goes with my first point, but I’ve noticed that, stupidly enough, there seems to be a sort of hierarchy between people who choose to wear mostly drugstore or mostly high end — and it’s stupid. Simply put: there are several drugstore products comparable to high end products in which the drugstore products are actually much better, and obviously, much more affordable. There are several videos on YouTube showing people trying on high end versus drugstore products, not knowing which are which, and sometimes the drugstore products win!
5. Have fun with it! You aren’t obligated to wear it, nor should you feel shamed if you choose to wear it every single day. That’s on you. But wear what you want and do what makes you most comfortable and happy! You don’t have to
So, whether you love makeup or you don’t, these are just some things to keep in mind when thinking about it. Despite what so many think, it is not oppressive to wear it, to love it, or to be passionate about it.
Though it is difficult for some to wrap their heads around, it is possible (gasp!) to wear it and simultaneously be intelligent, well rounded, and confident.
To me, it is a form of self-expression, and an art. Yes, an art. Try doing a perfect freehanded winged liner if you’re rolling your eyes right now, and then come talk to me.Y